Thursday, September 24, 2009

essay 2, the most stressful one yet. (oops, forgot to put "example essay")

Having a part-time job at a restaurant can be both a rewarding and a challenging experience. One can learn the value of a dollar, of organization, and of an honest day's work. Interacting with employees, managers, and customers instill a people-friendly attitude and underscore the value of working as a team. There are many lessons to be learned in life, and, if you're up for the challenge, getting a job at a young age can give you a head-start in the real world.
I got my first job at the age of 15; I worked as a waitress at a restaurant in the town in which I was raised. The first few days were an interesting obstacle, as I had to become accustomed to being held responsible for the image of my benefactors, as well as maintaining an orderly and punctual schedule. Conflict is inevitable when working with the public and, with practice and patience, I slowly learned to deal with such issues. These are crucial skills for a mature, working environment, and will probably help me for the rest of my life.
There are also a few negative points to consider when determining whether prematurely joining the work force is a choice you'd like to make. Precious hours are consumed by a job, leaving less time to study and participate in other curricular activities. This may have an undesired impact on one's grades, due to smaller periods allowed to study. Additionally, the stresses of work may also take a toll on one's mood, limiting one's ability to work efficiently with professors and fellow students.
The question of “to work, or not to work” is ultimately up to you, and may be influenced by the time at which your classes take place, the number of classes you are taking, how relatively difficult or time-consuming you find your schoolwork, and you are in need for income. Having extra cash to pay for gas and other expenses may be a necessity to most, but if that is not the case, it may not be worth the time taken from one's studies.
Considering all variables and circumstances, I stand by my decision to work alongside my academic career, but it may not be for everyone. I feel that I have acquired invaluable skills and accumulated particularly enlightening experiences in my pursuit of a weekly paycheck, and would recommend a similar path for those able to take up the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment